Sunday, November 28, 2010

Agnes Banks

If you are in need of some Turf or Horse related services perhaps you should take a drive 63km North West of Sydney City to the quaint little suburb of Agnes Banks. With only 411 residents in this suburb it is very much a blink and you will miss it.


The distance from where I live and the lack of info I could find about the suburb meant that I was not particularly enthused about driving out there just to check it out. I ended up going because my Cousin lives not to far and judging by the map it seemed like only a street, barely a suburb at all on maps. 


The day was overcast and rained as I was leaving. I would imagine it would be a nice place to drive through on a brighter day. This was a Turf Farm just at the entrance to the suburb which looks out to the Blue Mountains area.


A bit of history....



The area was started by an emancipated convict, Andrew Thompson, who was granted the land which is situated near the banks of the Nepean River. Thompson named the area after his Mother Agnes Hilson and rented the land to farmers. Apparently, Thompson became so well known in the Windsor area that he was later named "Father of Windsor"!


There is little information about the suburb and most of it just repeats what the others have said... somewhat like I have done. When searching for suburb info the main hit is the Agnes Banks Equine Clinic. I have never had a Horse and do not know much about Horse related stuff. I later had to ask a friend what a Horse Agistment is. Just so you know, if you need a lovely place to park your Horse and have someone care for it then Agnes Banks is the place.


This excursion about the town of Agnes Banks took me less than an hour. There really is not that much to do unless, like I said, you are in need of Turf or Horse stuff. It is a beautiful suburb and reminded me of South Coast Southern Highlands kind of place. There is a mix of older style houses, shacks and gigantic homesteads.


I don't think I felt any great change after being in Agnes Banks, it was a beautiful place to hang around and photograph. 

2 comments:

  1. It's a picturesque spot, Aly, and so close to Sydney. I worked at Windsor for a few weeks on water-proofing an old convict barracks (in 2001) that was for a while a hospital and re-opened in 2005 as the Deerubbin Centre. There's a real country feel out that way.
    You didn't take your silver bullet out there; then what did you take?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice and green out there Pinko. I was unaware of your restoration career! That was a job I was wanting to get into but may be more of a hobby rather than a career.
    I went to Agnes Banks in November (late posting) and the Bullet was alive and well then.
    A post in the works has a guest appearance by RAS! P's car.

    ReplyDelete